Monday, May 5, 2014

Transfers, etc.

Hello loved ones!

This weekend we got transfer calls! Mom, you're going to flip out. I'm being transferred to Holland! My new companion's name is Elder Jackson, he just got finished being trained. Anywho, I'm so excited! I'm going right in time for the tulip festival and everything! Mom, if you could get me some referrals of old friends or whatever, maybe talk to Aunt Diane as well and see if I have any distant relatives I could go visit. :) Mom, how long was it that you lived in Holland?

So that means I'm leaving Midland 2 after four transfers. I've absolutely loved my time here, there have been a lot of ups and downs. White-washing was a unique challenge but I wouldn't mind doing it again. We right away gained trust and love from the members and they are wonderful member missionaries. I'll always remember Heather Hale and Jeremy Hammers, my recent converts in the area. They're just great and I was so honored to teach them. I'm so grateful that I had the privilege to train Elder Graves, he's a great missionary. He pretty much trained me.  Elder Graves' new companion will be Elder Hess, the mission president's grand-son. Crazy, huh? They will do great and the area is doing really well right now. It is just building more and more week by week.

Alright, so at the beginning of this last week of the transfer, the zone leaders got this idea to set a goal of 20 new baptismal dates in the week. That was a pretty big goal, but all the Elders and Sisters were excited about it and everyone worked hard. Whenever someone set a new date the zone leaders would text everyone and tell us. 

We contributed by setting a new date with a former investigator named Helen Brown. She is super awesome; she was taught a ton by the previous Elders and ever since we whitewashed the area we haven't been able to meet because she got really sick. We met with her for the first time on Thursday and set a goal forJune 28th for baptism. Way exciting! She has a testimony and everything, she just needs to quit smoking and improve her health. If she does the first the other will follow. That was super exciting, 

So the coolest miracle was that on Saturday night at 9 p.m. the zone leaders sent a text saying we had done marvelous work but had missed our goal by just one. Even though we hadn't hit 20, we had set more dates than the zone had set in a single week in months. A few minutes later though they sent another text saying that a former had called the Elders and informed them she had quit smoking 3 weeks ago and was ready to be baptized. With that, the Midland zone hit the goal of setting 20 dates in just one week! 

So that's about it. Our other investigators are doing well. We had four investigators at church yesterday which was more than I had ever had in this area. We taught more lessons than we had in months. The area is looking so much better and I'm happy to hand it off in its current condition. 

Other cool stuff: Elder Derricott, after being a zone leader for a transfer, was called to be the new assistant! It's pretty cool. Just 6 weeks ago he was my district leader and now he'll be instructing in half-mission trainings. Haha. He's a great missionary and a good friend. We had a great time serving together in Midland. 

Tender mercy: I've had to get rid of some of my clothes because they are just too baggy, including a suit. Well, we've been volunteering at a resale shop that supports a shelter house for the past few weeks, and every time I go there I find something in perfect/barely used condition that fits me perfectly. The first week I found two really nice long-sleeved shirts, the second week I found a still-tagged brown belt and slacks that I bought for dirt-cheap. So this week there wasn't a lot of new men's stuff but I felt prompted to look through the suits again. I found a custom-tailored suit that fits me perfectly that I bought for $10. God provides. Life is so amazing when you begin to recognize the Lord's hand in everything. 

So there you have it. I love you all and I have a ton more of stuff to do so I gotta go!

-EKS

So I have some pictures for you.

One is of me and Jeremy, the other is of Curt and Patty Cormier and myself.





District Photo!
Sisters from left to right: Dille, Procopio, Fulmer, and Greene.
Elders in the same order: Graves, ME, Krebs, Anderson.




We had this tasty ice cream for district lunch, it's called Great Lakes Ice Cream Co.


No comments:

Post a Comment