Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"I Met a Possum"

So first of all, I need to tell a quick story from Spring Lake. One night I had the scariest nightmare ever where Elder Reheis and I got attacked by a ferocious pack of possums. They were poisonous, too. We fended them off with shovels but there were too many of them. I fear possums to this day because of this dream.

Well, last night when we were taking out the garbage for our apartment, Elder Graves picked up one of the cans and was like, "there's something moving in there..." It was a live possum just chillin' in our neighbor's garbage. I was terrified. We called our WML because we didn't know what to do but before we went about removing it, the thing went away. Possums. Hate them.

This was a much better week as far as proselyting goes. We taught a really powerful Restoration lesson to Bill, the guy we found out in the country last week. He's excited to read the Book of Mormon and continue learning with us. He's really busy though right now so we won't be able to see him again until next week. 

The other investigator we picked up is Mike. He's a way sweet guy, very involved in his Methodist church. We knocked into him a couple weeks ago and weren't expecting much when we returned. His wife let us right in and was super nice. (Side-note: her name's Wendy, from Canada, and was taught by elders in California years back) Anywho, Mike had a lot of sincere questions that pointed to the Plan of Salvation so we mostly taught that. Next time we go over we'll be teaching him, Wendy, and their son so we're hoping we'll be able to invite the Spirit in on that one.

This last Thursday, we had the most amazing training at Zone Conference. President Hess gave wonderful instruction on our purpose and also changed some of our key indicators and "standards of excellence" which was sweet. Sister Hess taught us about pride and sarcasm, which was something I needed. Elder Patterson introduced an amazing purification exercise to more fully merit the Atonement in our daily lives as missionaries. Very powerful. He also instructed on how to find through part-members and less-actives which was sweet. Elder Bertilson (from Sweden) gave us wonderful instruction on how to become master teachers. W00t for zone conference! It was also a lot of fun to see my trainer, Elder Reheis, who is now my zone leader.

What else? This was our week without a car so we stomped around all of Midland and had a good 'ole time. We've got return appointments with a former and a few potentials so I'm excited for the coming week. 

As a follow-up to zone conference I used some personal study time to read about pride, and I came to Alma 29. It reads,

 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the atrump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and acome unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth.
 But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.
 I think I've been so caught up in being a master finder/teacher RIGHT NOW that I've forgotten "the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me." I've been so blessed thus far and I have found great strength in being grateful for all of my many blessings, including my God-given improvements as a Gospel teacher.

I love you all! Have a great week in whatever you're doing. Mission friends- it's great to hear about how things are going with each of you! I am inspired by your stories and your commitment to serve the Lord and His children. Have a great week, everyone!

-EKS

Picture of possum included. 


AND in case you want to know where his title reference comes from...



No comments:

Post a Comment