Monday, July 7, 2014

Happy 4th // etc. etc.

So things are going pretty well over here. We've been doing a lot of finding - a lot of our investigators have dropped us or aren't progressing so we've been praying hard for investigators that will make and keep commitments. I am confident that the Lord is preparing people and we just gotta find them- or they gotta find us!
 
We went on trade-offs with the zone leaders this week, Elders Kinikini and Lyman. They are super fun and they love to talk to me about Spring Lake and everyone there. I worked in Holland with Elder Lyman and we just went finding hard-core. We found a bunch of potentials that we will hopefully pick up as investigators this week. Elder Lyman is super funny - in fact, you all should go on youtube and look up "Singing Elders". It's a video of Elder Lyman and his trainer from Sweden lip-syncing a song and it has a ton of views. Apparently it's funny but I haven't seen it yet.
 
Something new we've been doing is using visuals in our finding. I've been doing it since I was with Elder Bass in Lansing because he does this super well. Basically we just show people pictures out of the gospel art book and talk with them about it. Elder Lyman and I doorknocked into this guy named Fontaine that at first gave off a "I'm not interested" impression but we showed him a depiction of the first vision and he kinda just melted. I don't know how to explain it- the Spirit just works super quickly with people when they see something we're describing. This has happened countless other times with different people and different pictures. It makes finding that much more enjoyable - I love talking with anyone about the restoration of the Gospel!
 
Tender mercy this week - we finished doorknocking a kinda rough street and we were feeling a little worn out. We decided to stop by our investigator Jackie's house to follow up with him (yeah we found him again, false alarm). We had committed him to pray again to know if the Book of Mormon was true and if Joseph Smith was a prophet. After we sat down with him he told us, "Well, I did what you said. I got an answer." Elder Hudson and I just froze and waited. After a painful pause, he declared, "Mormon is true!" He had received a distinct answer from God that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the Book of Mormon is true. That was a pretty good ending to our day. He now knows that he has to quit smoking and drinking coffee but once he's done that he can be baptized. It's moments like these that make all of the rough times disappear. This is God's work.
 
That's about it. Our 4th of July was good - it started with a ward pancake breakfast and later we went to a Cambodian barbeque a member invited us to. My companion was a little miffed- as we left he said, "I didn't think I'd go to my first party with alcohol on my mission." It was a pretty good finding experience, struck out a few times trying to talk to people that didn't speak (or pretended not to speak) english though, haha. We got a potential out of it though. And I tried chicken gizzard!
 
Love you all!
 
-EKS

No comments:

Post a Comment