Monday, July 21, 2014

Today is July 21st

Hey everyone!
 
This week was good! Jack Robinson is on track to be baptized this week should he choose. He expressed to us that he wants to be 100% over his addiction to coffee/tobacco before his baptism. He's been smoke-free for more than a week and coffee-less for about two so we think he's pretty much ready. Ever since he's received his answer he's just taking in everything we teach him and loving it.
 
Other than that, not much new. We are trying to get creative with our time in the early afternoon because not many people are home. When people are home though, we have good conversations with them. Earlier this week Elder Coziar came to work with me in Holland and we found a new investigator doorknocking. His name's Jose and he has Mormon family but doesn't know much about their beliefs. We taught a very basic Restoration and the Spirit was strong.
 
I taught a district meeting on effective study habits and it went well. I was especially grateful to take the opportunity to prepare for the week by thinking about how priceless the scriptures are. I never treasured the words of eternal life before my mission but when I think about them now, I wonder how I survived without them. I feel that teaching from the scriptures has become a great strength on my mission so far.
 
Hopefully this week we'll start teaching a few member's friends which is really exciting. We've been working hard to gain the trust of the members so when they do have a referral for us they can know we're there to preach the Gospel by the Spirit.
 
Did I forget to tell you about meeting our new Mission President? President and Sister Jacobsen are the best! I will really miss the Hess's but man the Jacobsens are the perfect people for the job. We met them a couple of weeks ago at a zone conference-like thing. President Jacobsen is very sporty so our trainings feel more like locker room pep-ups as compared to college lectures from President Hess. They are very sweet people and I'm excited to work with them.
 
OK now for some tracting stories. We had some WEIRD animal encounters this week, all on the same street. The first house we talked to this nice girl and in the middle of our conversation her pet PIG just walks up on the scene. I said to her, "that's a pet pig" and she's just like "yup" and that was about the end of that.
 
A few doors down (a different day) we walk down a long driveway to this secluded house and when we get to the doorstep we see what looks like a cat on the porch (patches of hair missing, this thing looks scary). I stomped loudly to try and wake it up but it wasn't moving or breathing so we wer like, "Ok, that's a dead cat." After I ring the doorbell it comes to life (we think) and hisses at us until we leave. Michigan is wack sometimes.
 
Last one: we got chased off by a bear-dog. I defended us by snapping my fingers; that scared it off.
 
So yeah. I'm doing well. Holland Michigan is great as ever. I'm happy and healthy and I'm just savoring every moment. God is good and is blessing us with tender mercies. I'm growing in Christ-like attributes, especially patience and humility because those are Christ-like attributes I don't excell at. :) I am grateful that the Atonement of Jesus Christ makes it possible for to overcome weakness and eventually make them into strenghths. I forgot my camera, next week I'll have to send you some good pictures.
 
Love you all! have an awesome week and be safe in your pursuits and travels!
 
Love,
 
Elder Schmutz

No comments:

Post a Comment